Works of light and projection art will be experienced in four different locations in the Espoon keskus area. Located within walking distance of each other in the vicinity of Kannusali, the works will utilise the existing old building stock of the area.
The works are part of the City Gallery. Read more about the City Gallery on the City events Espoo website.
Marko Vierimaa – Sydämen luona koti (Home Is Where the Heart Is) (Ruusupuisto)
In Marko Vierimaa’s video work, an analogue palette flavours bodily expression. Home is where the foundation of happy experiences lies: in the heart.
The Suna farm was one of the five main estates of the Södrik village. In its final stages, the farm was owned by the Weckström family, who sold it to the City of Espoo in 1965. The main building was demolished, and there is only a white cowshed left, the future use of which has been planned for a long time. The cowshed has acted as the city’s traffic sign paint shop, artists have worked there at times, and it has also been used as an exhibition space.
Riku Sourama – Necroemoticon (Pappilantie 9)
NECRONOMICON + IPHONE + OUIJA = ???
BOOK OF THE DEAD 2020 MECHADIGITAL EDITION NOW WITH OVER 9000% MORE EMOTES
GET YOUR LIKES FROM BEYOND THE VEIL NOW!
Duncan Matthews – Dark Ideas (Pappilantie 5 and 7)
Broken incandescent light bulbs and used tinted film are given a new life as old overhead projectors are used as the light source. British artist Duncan Matthews continues the series of works experienced at Polar Night Light and Lux Helsinki with a new edition where pieces of recycled material become ants climbing walls. Old objects that were once used as light sources can be seen one more time in a new light.
Lilla Karyll was built in 1904, the house represents the construction method of its time in the Espoo station area. The peculiarities of the building are the arched upper edges of the main windows and the quadrant-shaped attic windows. The building has been renovated by Espoon mielenterveysyhdistys EMY ry (Espoo mental health association) to be used as an office. (Pappilantie 7). Villa Apteekki building was completed in 1921, and its designer and contractor was master builder Bernhard Olin. Espoon Uusi Apteekki operated in the building until the late 1970s. Now the building houses the Askel meeting point and the Espoo Association for Nature Conservation. (Pappilantie 5).
Static Assemblage in Orange and Pink (Kannusillanmäki 6)
The installation at the old municipal hall colours its surroundings in the winter landscape and sets the pace for the path of the light art. The matrix-like lantern design carries the viewer from orange to pink through the blend of colours reflected on the wall.
In 1932, the Municipality of Espoo purchased a tower villa called Breidablick, which became the municipal hall of Espoo. The house had been owned by the widow Jenny Weckström and used as a boarding house. The house burned down in 1933. In the following year, a new municipal hall was built, initially as a single-storey building but with a second storey added in 1945. During the war, there was also a rationing office in the building. Now the building houses the Avonia Music Institute.
Source data: Urban walks in Espoon keskus
Transport connections: Trains: A, E, L, U, X and Y. More information on transport connections is available on the Journey Planner website.
Photo: Mirella Penttilä - Taide x Kaupunki (Work: Ghost Project at Kera Halls 2020)