Updated 16.9.2020 at 16.01
The distribution of free face masks started in Espoo on Monday, 17 August. There has been a great demand for face masks and therefore we kindly ask you to remember the following points:
- Free masks are meant for Espoo residents who have a low income and who are unable to buy masks. Other Espoo residents should buy their own masks.
- Based on the recommendation of the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), masks are intended for the following situations:
- when you use public transport
- when you are on your way to a coronavirus test
- when you return to Finland from a high-risk country
- when you cannot avoid close contacts.
- The masks are intended for people who are 15 or older.
- The masks are only intended for personal use.
- The number of masks handed out to each person should be enough for two weeks.
We give each person 20 disposable masks and four fabric masks at a time (fabric masks are being handed out in every distribution locations at the latest by Friday 18.9.2020). Due to the high demand, we may temporarily run out of masks at our distribution locations.
Distribution locations for free face masks are located all around Espoo
Northern Espoo (starting from Wed 26 August)
- EJY activity centre (Kansalaistoiminnankeskus), Kauppamiehentie 6, Mon–Fre 10:00–15:00
We will monitor the distribution of masks and may change our approach if necessary.
Use a face mask carefully
It is important that you wear a face mask correctly. Check out the instructions on the THL website:
Distribution locationsCoronavirus and services in Espoo: www.espoo.fi/coronavirus
On 13 August 2020, the Government issued a resolution that municipalities must provide masks free of charge for people in the most vulnerable groups.